With several large-scale government-funded projects rolling out and the government allocating over $19 billion to subsidize owners of aged buildings for maintenance and repair, the Electrical and Mechanical (E&M) Engineering sector expects a consistent demand for skilled professionals in the lift & escalator maintenance and modernization related field in the coming years. However, the emerging "Retirement Wave" is expected to drastically reduce the existing manpower of experienced technologists in the E&M industry, exacerbating the current serious manpower shortage.
To maintain Hong Kong's position as a vibrant metropolitan, it is crucial to upskill experienced lift and escalator engineering practitioners. The Professional Diploma in Lift & Escalator Engineering not only promotes professionalism in the industry but also provides comprehensive training in technical skills and supervision knowledge. This programme is an excellent opportunity for individuals who want to take their career to the next level and enhance their expertise in the field.
EME4043X - Regulatory and Technical Issues in the Industry (39 hrs)
EME4044X - Instrumentation & Technology in Lift and Escalator Systems (39 hrs)
EME4045X - Supervisory Skills for Maintenance Works (39 hrs)
EME4046X - Project and Occupational Safety & Health Management (39 hrs)
Learners' performance will be assessed by Continuous Assessment (CA) and End-of-Module Assessment (EA). The assessments are in English.
- 1 to 2 nights per week, 18:30 - 21:30 or 19:00 – 22:00.
- Duration: 156 hrs. The normal duration for completion of the programme is around 10 - 12 months.
This programme paves a way for graduates to further study for a higher qualification. Upon completion of this programme, graduates can apply for the "Professional Diploma Meister in Lift and Escalator Engineering" offered by the Technological and Higher Education Institute of Hong Kong (THEi) or apply for "Professional Diploma in Engineering Studies (Mechanical)" for preparation of obtaining a Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical Engineering) (Honours). Please visit the following links for details:
The applicants have to meet the Academic Qualifications AND Professional Requirements below for admission to the programme:
- Five HKDSE subjects at Level 2 or above, including English and Chinese Languages, or equivalent; or
- Five HKCEE subjects at Grade E/Level 2 or above, including English and Chinese Languages, or equivalent; or
- Completion of a QF Level 3 programme, or equivalent; or
- Relevant Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) qualification(s) at QF Level 3 or above; or
- Mature applicants, i.e. those aged 21 or above may also be accepted. Where appropriate, the applicant may be required to pass an entrance assessment, which can be in an oral and/or written form.
- Registered Lift Worker AND Registered Escalator Worker under the Lifts and Escalators Ordinance (Cap. 618); AND
- With at least six years' relevant work experience.
Financial Assistance Scheme
Vplus Subsidy Scheme
This course is an eligible programme under "Vplus Subsidy Scheme – Vplus Engineering". Under this scheme, successful applicants will be refunded 60% of the paid tuition fees of eligible programmes, subject to a maximum of $45,000 per person.