Professional Certificate in Marine Insurance is recognized under the QF
QF Level: 4
QR Registration Number: 19/000100/L4
Validity Period: From1 March 2019 to 31 August 2021
Targeted at adults who would like to acquire a systematic body of knowledge of insurance and
the related laws applicable to their positions of insurance/claims administrator or manager of a
maritime company, this programme has the following objectives:
1) Develop students’ understanding of how marine insurance functions in the execution of a
maritime company’s policy on insurance; and
2) Develop students’ capability of performing the jobs of purchasing marine insurance and
pursuing or handling marine insurance claims for a maritime company.
• After-hours Classes : so as to overcome working learners’ common time constraint.
• Modular Structure : 2 modules of 30 and 42 class contact hours respectively, to be taken
without pre-determined prioritization. Yet starting with the 30-hour
module will be beneficial to overall learning effectiveness.
• Professional Teaching : classes are taught by experienced professionals.
Mode of Study:
(1) Face-to-face tutorials (3 hours per weekly lesson, on weekday evenings or weekend afternoons)
- 30 hours for module “Essential Legal Knowledge for Marine Insurance Administrators”
- 42 hours for module “Marine Insurance and Claims for Ship Operators”
(2) End-of-module examination: 3 hours
(1) One assignment 30 % of module mark
(2) One 3-hour final examination 70 % of module mark
• To be eligible to sit the final examination for a module, a student must attain a minimum attendance rate of 70% for the
tutorials, failing which he will have to retake the module.
• The module pass mark is 40%. A minimum score of 40% in both the assignment and the final examination are required in order
to pass a module.
• Reassessment may be allowed subject to prescribed restrictions.
• A student is required to successfully complete both modules within a maximum 3-year registration period for graduation and
for the award of Professional Certificate in Marine Insurance.
Students are required to complete both modules.
PSE4801 Essential Legal Knowledge for Marine Insurance Administrators#
PSE4802 Marine Insurance and Claims for Ship Operators#
香港中學會考五科成績達E級 / 第二級或以上，包括英國語文及中國語文，及具三年或以上相關全職工作經驗
- Five HKDSE subjects at Level 2 or above, including English Language and Chinese Language with 3 or more years’work experience in insurance or shipping; OR
- Five HKCEE subjects at Grade E / Level 2 or above, including English Language# and Chinese Language with 3 or more years’work experience in insurance or shipping; OR
âÂ» Mature applicants i.e., those aged 24 or above, with 5 or more years in insurance or shipping working experience, may also be accepted subject to a satisfactory admission interview.